It’s just about time for the inaugural Victory Ride to Cure Cancer! Have you started thinking about everything you’ll need to bring with you on May 19? Here’s a list of important reminders and “must-bring items,” to make your preparations as easy as possible.
- Before you leave home: Fully charge your phone and gather your gear the night before so you won’t have to rush to the event site.
- Required items: Your I.D. for check-in and a helmet are mandatory for event day.
- Bike maintenance: Make sure your bike is in good working order before the ride. Have a read through this recent blog post with expert mechanic, Gene Carleton from Performance Bicycle for some maintenance tips and tricks.
- Weather reminder: The Victory Ride will take place rain or shine, so check the forecast and be prepared.
- Cycling Jersey: A lightweight cycling jersey that wicks moisture is best for the average temperatures we see in the Triangle in May. Avoid wearing a cotton shirt as it will hold moisture and may become hot and heavy.
- Cycling shorts: Wearing padded cycling shorts will minimize chafing and reduce discomfort from sitting on the bike saddle for an extended period of time.
- Gloves: Short-finger or fingerless cycling gloves will provide a solid grip on handlebars, help to absorb both perspiration and vibrations from the road, and help to prevent blisters.
- Cycling shoes and socks: If you already own a pair, dedicated cycling shoes are your best choice. Shoes with soft bottoms are not built to withstand the pedal pressure from long-distance cycling. As for socks, avoid 100% cotton socks if possible and instead opt for socks with moisture-wicking properties.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen: Bring a pair of sunglasses that have UV protection. Be sure to apply sunscreen before and during the ride.
- Water bottle/hydration system: A good rule of thumb is to drink 17-25 ounces of fluids every hour you’re cycling. And we also recommend taking in a combination of water and sports drinks, both of which will be available on ride day. The sports drinks will help replenish important electrolytes lost during the ride.
Check these items off your list, and you’ll be well-prepared for the Victory Ride! Check out the Event Guide in your online Participant Center for information about the event day: check-in details, site map with parking info, ride schedule, safety tips and more! Now let’s go ride together toward Victory Over Cancer®!